Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fish Market

Continuing on from the last post - I promise I've almost covered last Saturday! And I've already got lots of other stuff I need to write about too....I'll get there eventually :)

After Shuri Castle, a group of us went to see a big fish market on the island. It was very hard to find! We were able to find a big market with all kinds of different vendors, but we couldn't find the area that sold fish and other foods. People kept giving us directions, and we kept not finding it! Luckily we had a very determined leader who was not afraid to get a Japanese lady to write "fish market" on a piece of paper in Japanese, and then ask multiple people we passed to read the paper and point us in the right direction. (Good work, Bandit!) We realized after we found the market that there were probably lots of signs with arrows pointing towards it, but since we couldn't read Japanese they didn't help us very much :)
We finally found the market and got to browse everything from fish, to snails, to giant lobsters that cost $200 each, to pig faces and other parts of pigs that I'd rather not remember! There were definitely some things that were less that appetizing, but it was amazing to see the variety of different kinds of foods.
On the floor above the market were several restaurants. The cool thing was you could take your purchases from the market below to the restaurants and they would cook it up for you. Several people in our group bought some sashimi at the market, and also decided to try out one of the giant snails. The snail was actually pretty good once they cooked it, kind of chewy but tasted good. Dan and I ordered some noodles and thought we were playing it safe - until we realized it was noodles + spam! So overall it was definitely a culinary adventure :)

3 comments:

chrissy said...

hi erin! I forgot you had a blog until today! so i searched through some old emails and found it :). I just started a blog too! (chadandchrissy.blogspot.com). Anyway, I'm glad you had fun in Japan!! You should have tried the pig head... :)

Erin and Dan said...

Umm, maybe YOU should try a pig head, haha :) I will be going to check out your blog soon...I haven't updated in a while! I slacked off once I got back in the US :)

Karla Christiansen said...

looks like a great trip, I have been wanting Karla to take a trip over there sometime to get some sun. Is there a beach on the base or do you have to go off base? -Justin